ENGL147N Week 1 Assignment: Argument Research Essay Topic and Proposal
Please contact us for a sample/customized paper
Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: pp. 2-26, 32-36, and review pages 270-293 & 337-356
- Link (Word doc): Guidelines and Sample Annotated Bibliography Entry
- Minimum of 6 scholarly articles
Apply the following writing resources to your posts:
- Link (website): APA Citation and Writing (Links to an external site.)
For this assignment, complete the following:
- Review from the lesson and textbook readings argumentative appeals, models for argument, effective and correct use of sources, and the purposes for/examples of annotated bibliographies. Assess any feedback provided by the professor and/or your peers from discussion.
- Refer to the “Guidelines and Sample Annotated Bibliography Entry” document for success.
- Compose a full and complete annotated bibliography that includes the 6 scholarly sources with which you are most likely to work as you begin drafting your essay. These may change later, as you will continually research during drafting to find more powerful sources and/or new ideas for support and opposition. You may use sources from previous assignments if you have read and re-read them and feel they are highly valuable at this point still. You will:
- Compose a full, rich, detailed paragraph discussing the process you used in gathering and annotating your sources. The “Guidelines and Sample Annotated Bibliography Entry” document will guide you with required questions that you must answer for this paragraph.
- Compose full APA References for six scholarly sources, ideally three that support your points and three that oppose them, but no fewer than two opposing sources.
- Write a rich annotation for each source, according to best practices studied in your readings and according to the instructions on the ”Guidelines and Sample Annotated Bibliography Entry” document.
- Keep in mind that your purpose is analytical. You will very briefly summarize the source in a single sentence, then move into the source’s credibility, relevance, timeliness, and usefulness, followed by detailing specific connections to your argument and points and to other sources, if applicable. By the time you have finished this assignment, you should have a very clear idea of how your argument and the conversation between your voice and your sources will play out. This assignment will also provide your instructor with a solid preview of the quality of your argument as a whole.
- Before submission, proofread and edit carefully for APA, spelling, punctuation, and grammar. While you are strongly encouraged to utilize electronic proofreading and APA tools, that is just your first line of offense. You should then always perform your own careful proofreading, silently and aloud, asking others to proofread if possible.
Writing Requirements (APA format)
- Length: 3-4 pages (not including the title page)
- 1-inch margins
- Double spaced
- 12-point Times New Roman font
- Title page
Drennen, C. R., Coleman, S. M., de Cuba, S. E., Frank, D. A., Chilton, M., Cook, J. T., … & Black, M. M. (2019). Food insecurity, health, and development in children under age four years. Pediatrics, 144(4), pp. 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2019-0824
This article elucidated the relationships between food insecurity, health, and development of children and found that there is no relationship between poor neighborhoods, food insecurity, and obesity among children. The authors of this article utilized a cross-sectional survey that was used to gather data from medical centers in 5 US cities. These authors also used multivariable logistic regression analysis and found that there is no relationship between food insecurity and obesity in children. The authors concede that food insecurity and low-income living conditions are associated with increased odds of fair or poor health and developmental risk among children. However, they did not find any positive relationship between these variables and obesity in children. The researchers base their argument on their own data which was collected using a survey and previous findings by several authors who found no relationship between food insecurity and obesity among children. This is one of the opposing articles which provides me with a different perspective and outlook regarding my topic. For me to provide an argumentative essay, it will be imperative to consider differing points of view such as those provided by this article.
Dhurandhar, E. J. (2016). The food-insecurity obesity paradox: A resource scarcity hypothesis. Physiology & Behavior, 162(4), 88-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.physbeh.2016.04.025
This article investigates the food-insecurity obesity paradox and found that indeed, food insecurity causes obesity among children. The author used a systematic review……
Please contact us for a sample/customized paper